John Green being fucking awesome
"read misogynistic gender dynamics into it"
don’t need to read into things that are actually fucking there!!!! holy shit john green have you ever read twilight or are you pulling this statement out of your ass like you seem to do a bunch lately?
let’s count the ways twilight fucks up in terms of “gender dynamics” and other things, shall we?
- a character is physically abused by her cousin’s boyfriend to the point of being scarred permanently, yet they still get together for “destiny” reasons
- same character basically exists as a satellite planet to her bf and as an example of how every imprintee should act
- imprinting as a whole: YOU GET NO CHOICE IN LOVE!! boy falls in love w/ u? u better just fucking accept it. don’t like him?? you’ll “grow to”, because of his “loving devoted attention”!!! it’s for the good of the pack!!!! fuck you if you want anything different
- imprinting on babies, aka child grooming is totally okay as long as you don’t start the sexy stuff until 18!! (“mentally”- can’t forget bella’s daughter is allowed to get w/ jacob, her mom’s former friend, when she’s seven years old)
- bella’s agency is completely taken away by edward (and jacob) in terms of her child (wanting her to get an abortion against her wishes, edward basically telling jacob he can have sex with her and give her children if she wants them)
- edward sleeps with bella even though he KNOWS she will be harmed by it
- leah clearwater is portrayed as an utter complete bitch for not following the pack rules, yet jacob is touted as a heroic leader for doing the same
- and speaking of leah, how fucking dare she be upset her boyfriend broke it off with her to get into a “fairytale” relationship with her cousin!! (the same bf that later scarred her beloved cousin and friend FOR LIFE)
- jacob and edward treat bella like a literal piece of meat and consistently ignore her wishes for “the greater good”
- being a vampire makes u white!!!!!!
- humans are trash. you’re a human? you’re trash
- jacob violently kisses bella without her consent
- bella is the classic definition of “not like other girls” and treats the girls who attempt to be friends with her as disposable
- she also treats her father like trash and is dismissive of her mother
- SEX IS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SILLY BELLA
- special snowflake syndrome to the max (and u’d know about that right john? *flutters eyelashes*)
- don’t forget the stalking!!! nothing says true love like stalking
- “Perhaps the creepiest part was the werewolf wife (who was human) who had the misfortune of being around her husband when he got angry & lashed out at her. It was a tacit endorsement of domestic violence. There was never any thought that the wife might leave her husband or that you maybe shouldn’t be around someone who will strike you when they are angry (especially someone with claws..) ” -ezra
- “Did anyone else also notice that the good guys in this series are white, and the bad guys are Native American? Also ALL of the vampires in the book are white.” -diaryofacrazywoman
- “And don’t worry. If Edward ends up killing Bella, it will be her fault. That’s because she should know to stand perfectly still when he kisses her. Otherwise vampire passions are aroused and, well, murder happens.” -Elizabeth Esther (aka EMOTIONAL ABUSE WOOHOO)
i agree that smeyer experiences sexism, misogyny, and fatphobia because of her books, and i agree that twilight fans do as well, and that’s terrible and wrong. but that in NO WAY excuses the fact that twilight is disgusting tripe. the movies were way, way toned down to a lot of these things, tbh, so i understand why you might see the issue as blown out of the water in those respects- but the books DO exist, they ARE there, and so is all the things they tout as romantic.
tl;dr: you know nothing john green
"you can just ignore sexism and rape culture if you squint and not wanting to do that makes you the misogynist"
really like this guy needs to hire better PR people can someone hire John Green a PR guy for me
It was sort of mentioned in the list above but I want to make it EXPLICITLY CLEAR that Edward and Bella’s relationship IS CANONICALLY ABUSIVE. Here is a link explaining why, but if you don’t want to go all the way over there I’ll give you a short rundown. The National Domestic Violence Hotline has a list of fifteen signs you might be in an abusive relationship and says If you answered ‘yes’ to even one of these questions, you may be in an abusive relationship.” Edward and Bella’s relationship hits ALL FIFTEEN.
So yes, John Green, tell me more about why it’s acceptable to teach teen girls (the biggest Twilight fanbase) to glamorize and aspire to a completely abusive relationship. We should most definitely say that there’s nothing wrong with that unless you want “to read into it.”
After all, media doesn’t impact how people think at all does it? Especially not growing children! Now, I don’t advocate banning books ever, but people need to be made aware of problematic things in literature. It’s the same problem with romanticizing Romeo and Juliet, except Shakespeare never wanted that to happen. If nobody calls these works out on how problematic the relationsips in them are, you are passively enabling abusers and abusive relationship. So thanks John for doing that.
john green deciding to just “look past misogyny to be nice to authors” fucking gee whiz another white guy another day smh
Twilight may be trash but at least they cast actual native americans to play natives
you know you’ve fucked up when Twilight does something better than you
Okay story time
So I went to college at Western Washington University, which is super close to the Lummi reservation.
I went to see New Moon in theaters with a couple of friends (we love hatewatching stuff, and had a few drinks before going to the theater). We were super confused when we sat down, because for some reason about half the theater was full of 12-year-old boys. The movie starts, it’s just as terrible as we expect, and then about halfway through the movie theatre erupts into cries of THERE HE IS!!! THERE HE IS!!!
Turns out the boys had come to see their Lummi buddy who had been cast as one of the werewolves in the movie. It was absolutely adorable, and my friends and I instantly felt super irresponsible for having come to a movie to trash the film a kid’s friends went to to support.
OMFG THIS FUCKING BIT
See, you guys who haven’t read the books don’t know that none of this happened in the book
the book had just a stupid generic happy ending
so all these book kids went to the movie and all was going as planned
AND THEN THIS DUDE JUST FUCKING KILLS ONE OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS
AND THEN EVERYBODY STARTS FUCKING DYING
IT WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING I HAVE EVER SEEN
SERIOUSLY WATCH BREAKING DAWN PT. 2
i gotta be real wit chu i went to breaking down 2 just to make fun of it
i used to be a fan i had that phase and i read the books ofc
and i was just chillin watchin dis movie laughing at the shity acting and shit
AND THEN FUCKING THIS HAPPENED
AND I FELL OUT OF MY GOD DAMN SEAT
THEY WENT AND KILLED FUCKING EVERYONE I CARED ABOUT AND I DIDN’T CARE ABOUT THAT MANY PEOPLE AND THEY KILLED THEM AND I JUST
and then it wasn’t real and i fucking pissed my pants my heart was beating so hard i was legitimately ready to get up and walk the fuck out of the theater
OMG NO SAME
one of the greatest moments in movie history
this one is for the history books
See I saw this with my cousin, and she hasn’t read the books but she had already seen the movie once when she saw it with me. And she was just staring at me and grinning the whole time.
And I, for one, wasn’t really worried exactly, because I knew they couldn’t do this for real, but I was so fucking confused the whole time.
LMAO I went my friend to see this movie. I had never read the books or anything so I didnt know what to expect of it (Mostly went for my friend). It was getting really boring until this one scene lmao. After that things got even crazier. I didnt regret seeing Twillight Breaking Dawn part 2.
I had no idea they did this. I’m hella amused.
Money talks, apparently.
Imagine Person A of your OTP moving to Person B’s town, and Person B falling in love with them. After a while, Person B finally reveals to Person A that they are a vampire that sparkles in the sunlight and that they have been watching Person A sleep at night. Person A does not find this creepy at all and reciprocates the feelings of affection.
“This is the last twilight movie” robert pattinson whispers. he lifts his face towards the sky and raises his arms. He begins to float, over the buildings, through the clouds. He floats out of range of earth’s gravitational pull and begins to spin through the stars. he is free
i wrote a paper as a senior in high school about this and when tracking the unhealthy relationship symptoms i found this out too. fucking a.
THIS is a legitimate reason to think Twilight is problematic. Not “oooh, but it’s girly literature cause the vampires sparkle and all the teen girls are into Edward”. As funny as some of the sparkly vampires jokes are - and they really sometimes are - Twilight’s very unique take on vampires is the least of the series’ problems, yet this criticism gets heard a lot more than the criticism of people who have noticed that something isn’t quite right in the relationship between Edward and Bella.
I brought this up every chance I had when I was working with the youth theatre girls this summer. There was one in particular who was way gaga over Edward and how she wanted a boyfriend just like him, so I told her “Oh, you’d be ok with a guy who followed you everywhere, invaded your privacy, ignored your feelings, sabotaged your friendships, and isolated you from everyone you’ve ever loved? And nearly killed you on several occasions?”
And I literally watched the switch flip in her head.
my mom is dying laughing right now
yeah, that’s upsetting, but not surprising at all.
once i did a video breaking down how bella & edward’s relationship is abusive
then twilight fangirls sent me a ton of hate mail
my dream is to one day make enough money to remake the movie twilight so that everything is exactly the same except edward cullen is played by kanye west and kanye west doesnt have a script and isn’t even aware of what the plot of the movie is, he’s just kanye west reacting to twilight in real time
idc how much you hate twilight her dad is awesome
why isn’t charlie the main character, again?
Charlie & his gun: still a better love story than Twilight.
Charlie was like the only thing I liked about the Twilight movie that I watched. I was rooting for him and totally slashing him and Billy Black. Twilight OTP.