Click here. Sign it. Reblog this. Tweet. Facebook. You know the drill.
So, by now you’ve heard that Walmart workers are walking out on strike on Black Friday. Here’s a quick primer on why they’re striking.
Let’s start with the basics. Walmart is the largest private employer in the world. They help set labor standards for almost every country on earth.
Walmart generated at least $405 billion in revenue last year, making it the 23rd largest economy in the world. Larger than Sweden.
Walmart remains an incredibly profitable company. But Walmart’s profits are America’s loss. Between 2000-2006, Walmart imported so much stuff from Chinese manufacturers that it eliminated nearly 200,000 U.S. jobs.
Walmart pays employees so little that they’ve cost taxpayers an estimated $1 billion per year in government assistance to their workers.
The result? Walmart is crazy rich.
So rich, in fact, that the Walton family — which owns a 49% stake in Walmart — is worth more than the bottom 40% of all American families combined. That means six people are worth more than an entire third of America.
But paying employees poverty wages isn’t enough for Walmart. They’ve also settled lawsuits alleging rampant wage theft from employees.
Locked workers in the store overnight.
And systematically pushed out full-time workers in favor of cheaper part-time workers.
This year, they decided to hike healthcare premiums for store employees by as much as 36%. And they don’t even offer health insurance to their part time employees.
They’ve also been messing with employee schedules, insisting on a new “flexible” scheduling policy. It’s flexible for Walmart, but not so much for workers. And let’s not forget they’ve chosen to open Walmart stores at 8pm on Thanksgiving Day this year.
Eventually, Walmart associates got fed up.
Two years ago, Walmart employees formed the Organization United for Respect at Walmart (OUR Walmart). Now they’ve got thousands of Walmart associates nationwide who are organizing around issues like erratic hours, low wages and retaliation by management in their stores.
Nothing like this has ever has ever happened in Walmart’s 50-year history. It’s an unprecedented moment for workers’ rights in America.
But Walmart has responded by attempting to silence its workers. Walmart even called the police and handcuffed a former employee who had simply been inside the store, talking to ex-coworkers about the Black Friday strike.
Then Walmart filed an “Unfair Labor Practice” (yes, we had the same reaction) last week.
So, now we’re three days away from the first nationwide strike of Walmart associates ever. How can you support the cause? There are a number of ways:
1. Show up on Black Friday and support the strikers.
2. Sponsor a Walmart striker by donating towards a $50 grocery gift card.
3. Donate your Facebook & Twitter account to Walmart strikers on Black Friday.
4. If you work at Walmart, become a member of OUR Walmart.
The bottom line is this — OUR Walmart is just getting started.
Hey loved ones. I know that many of us are stuck in the cycle in which we can’t afford not to go to places like Walmart. But we *have* to respect when workers call for a boycott. Workers are calling for you to boycott Walmart for Black Friday, which apparently starts on Thursday this year. So please stand in solidarity with Walmart workers, don’t buy anything from Walmart this weekend. In general, please don’t ever cross a picket line. And please try to join a protest with Walmart workers demanding justice, there’s one in every area!
I ain’t buyin shit from WallyWorld this weekend.
Since yesterday was the opening ceremonies of the 2012 Olympics, here’s a round-up of some gender and sexuality related news for this year’s games, the good and the bad. Above is a Reuters photograph of Sarah Attar, a middle-distance runner, and one of the two Saudi Arabian women sent to this year’s Olympics, as she took part in the Parade of Nations yesterday. Here are more photos of Saudi Arabia’s female athletes at the opening ceremony.
- This is a pre-Olympics article from this June on Deadspin, but it’s a truly fabulous article. Marking the retirement of Olympic gymnast Shawn Johnson, Dvora Meyers looks at how critics and the public discuss female gymnast’s bodies in code. Unbelievably insightful and relevant to the coming weeks.
- This will be the fourth Olympics for Australian swimmer Liesel Jones, who first competed at age 14 and has since collected three gold medals, four silvers and a bronze and holds a number of world records. Some people, though, just want to take some page space to consider the important question of whether or not she’s gained weight.
- Clare Malone wrote yesterday at The American Prospect about female boxers, aesthetic femininity and our perceptions of women we see as competing in men’s sports. This is the first Olympics to feature women’s boxing.
- And, of course, there is the hormone question. Rebecca Jordan-Young and Katrina Karkazis wrote a mid-June op-ed for the New York Times decrying the IOC’s policies on sex verification, which will ban women with hyperandrogenism (naturally heightened levels of testosterone) from competition because it gives them an advantage deemed unfair. In the conversation had on Andrew Sullivan’s the Daily Dish, a number of points were brought up, including that other biological advantages, like Michael Phelps’ genetic disorder that gives him long limbs and hypermobile joints or other athletes who have unusually large aerobic capacities, are not treated in this way. (Oh, and remember Caster Semenya? She’s now reportedly receiving some sort of treatment that allows her to qualify under IOC hormone regulations and is being hailed as more “feminine.” Dear lord.) Check out Feministing’s mid-June post about policing femininity in sports and the Olympics.
- Quite disappointing news… Afghan female boxer Sadaf Rahimi was originally extended a wildcard invitation by the IOC despite not qualifying officially. The International Boxing Association, however, has decided that she cannot compete, citing concerns over her abilities in the ring. Check out some amazing photos of her, though. She’s still a trailblazer.
- Keelin Godsey also won’t be attending the games. He was hoping to be the first openly transgender competitor.
- In awesome things that have come out of the Olympics, though, the US managed to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Title XIV in true style by sending more female athletes than male to London, a first for us.
- It’s also a global first: the first time that all participating countries are sending women to compete in the Olympics. Saudi Arabia, Brunei, and Qatar have ended their tradition of sending only males to compete.
- Saudi Arabia’s female judo competitor, Wojdan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shahrkhani, is currently in negotiations to be able to compete in a hijab.
- Over at the Washington Post, Nadia Mohammed considers the pivotal roles played in 2012’s Olympic Games by Muslim women.
- And check out some pieces profiling women athletes… The Atlantic on 17-year-old US boxer Claressa Shields, AKA “T-Rex.” Buzzfeed profiles America’s strongest person, Sarah Robles, who lives in poverty and remains ignored by sponsors despite her weightlifting prowess. Vogue has an awkward profile of flyweight US boxer Marlen Esparza (Vogue is awkward, not Esparza), but her story is definitely worth a read.
I will NOT be checking my tumblr dash. It just doesn’t load that well on my phone, and I’m not bringing my laptop. I WILL be checking livejournal (I have to moderate USxUK at least), but I won’t be replying to comments and I’ll probably miss some posts.
If you need to get in touch with me feel free to send me an email (everything . is . magic @ gmail dot com).
See you on July 5th!
Also if you are not following Harocation2012 already, here it is. This will be my trip photoblog, and I’ll be updating it throughout!
”THROUGH A RAPIST’S EYES” (PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS. it may save a life.) Reblog this!
It seems that a lot of attackers use some tactic to get away with violence. Not many people know how to take care of themselves when faced with such a situation. Everyone should read this especially each and every girl in this world.
THOUGHT THIS WAS GOOD INFO TO PASS ALONG…
FYI - Through a rapist’s eyes! A group of rapists and date rapists in prison were interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim and here are some interesting facts:
1] The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle. They are most likely to go after a woman with a ponytail, bun, braid or other hairstyle that can easily be grabbed. They are also likely to go after a woman with long hair. Women with short hair are not common targets.
2] The second thing men look for is clothing. They will look for women whose clothing is easy to remove quickly. Many of them carry scissors around to cut clothing.
3] They also look for women using their cell phone, searching through their purse or doing other activities while walking because they are off guard and can be easily overpowered.
4] The number one place women are abducted from / attacked at is grocery store parking lots.
5] Number two is office parking lots/garages.
6] Number three is public restrooms.
7] The thing about these men is that they are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to a second location where they don’t have to worry about getting caught.
8] If you put up any kind of a fight at all, they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realize that going after you isn’t worth it because it will be time-consuming.
9] These men said they would not pick on women who have umbrellas, or other similar objects that can be used from a distance, in their hands.
10] Keys are not a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use them as a weapon. So, the idea is to convince these guys you’re not worth it.
POINTS THAT WE SHOULD REMEMBER:
1] If someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question, like what time is it, or make general small talk: can’t believe it is so cold out here, we’re in for a bad winter. Now that you’ve seen their faces and could identify them in a line- up, you lose appeal as a target.
2] If someone is coming toward you, hold out your hands in front of you and yell Stop or Stay back! Most of the rapists this man talked to said they’d leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed that she would not be afraid to fight back. Again, they are looking for an EASY target.
3] If you carry pepper spray (this instructor was a huge advocate of it and carries it with him wherever he goes,) yelling I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY and holding it out will be a deterrent.
4] If someone grabs you, you can’t beat them with strength but you can do it by outsmarting them. If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the attacker either under the arm between the elbow and armpit or in the upper inner thigh - HARD. One woman in a class this guy taught told him she used the underarm pinch on a guy who was trying to date rape her and was so upset she broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands the guy needed stitches. Try pinching yourself in those places as hard as you can stand it; it really hurts.
5] After the initial hit, always go for the groin. I know from a particularly unfortunate experience that if you slap a guy’s parts it is extremely painful. You might think that you’ll anger the guy and make him want to hurt you more, but the thing these rapists told our instructor is that they want a woman who will not cause him a lot of trouble. Start causing trouble, and he’s out of there.
6] When the guy puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingers and bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushing down on them as possible. The instructor did it to me without using much pressure, and I ended up on my knees and both knuckles cracked audibly.
7] Of course the things we always hear still apply. Always be aware of your surroundings, take someone with you if you can and if you see any odd behavior, don’t dismiss it, go with your instincts. You may feel little silly at the time, but you’d feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.
FINALLY, PLEASE REMEMBER THESE AS WELL ….
I know you are smart enough to know these pointers but there will be some, where you will go “hmm I must remember that” After reading, forward it to someone you care about, never hurts to be careful in this crazy world we live in.
1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do it.
2. Learned this from a tourist guide to New Orleans : if a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you…. chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car: Kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won’t see you but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc. DON’T DO THIS! The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side,put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU CLOSE the DOORS , LEAVE.
5. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:
a. Be aware: look around your car as someone may be hiding at the passenger side , peek into your car, inside the passenger side floor, and in the back seat. ( DO THIS TOO BEFORE RIDING A TAXI CAB) .
b. If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the
passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
c. Look at the car parked on the driver’s side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)
6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot).
7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN!
8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP IT! It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked “for help” into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
Send this to any woman you know that may need to be reminded that the world we live in has a lot of crazies in it and it’s better safe than sorry.
this is legit read this
Trust me, I live in a city, this is legit shit. Don’t think it won’t happen to you, be paranoid and safe!
I do most of the precautionary things already (I’m pretty paranoid), but there are some really great tips here I haven’t ever considered.
Reggie Clemons was sentenced to death in St. Louis as an accomplice to a 1991 murder. There was no physical evidence and since allegations have arisen of police coercion, prosecutorial misconduct, and a ‘stacked’ jury in the Clemons case. Despite so many lingering questions, Missouri is still planning to execute Reggie Clemons.
I actually live in Missouri right now. Normally I list Kansas on these things because that’s still my legal address, but I put Missouri this time in hopes that higher numbers within the state will help.
Can I ask you a favor?
PLEASE TAG STUFF RELATING TO ANIMAL ABUSE PROPERLY (animal abuse, trigger warning, etc.), ESPECIALLY IF IT HAS IMAGES. I cannot handle that without proper warning. Thanks!
[Image: A photo of Troy Davis.]
This is the face of an innocent man. An innocent man who is to be executed tomorrow night in Georgia. There was a clemency meeting last night and it was denied. The execution will go ahead. But you can help stop it. Please, please, please, I am begging you, fill in your details on this petition to help save a man’s life. It literally takes 30 seconds so please, fill it in.
Please reblog and SPREAD THE WORD.
reblogging every time a new petition for this is on my dash
Same. Signing all of them.
SIGN THE PETITION THAT ACCOMPANIES THE ARTICLE ABOUT THE 7 YEAR OLD TRANSGENDER BOY BEING FORCED TO USE THE FEMALE RESTROOMS WHEN THERE ARE BOYS RESTROOMS AND UNISEX RESTROOMS AVAILABLE!
WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT (Taken from the petition itself)
All students— regardless of age, race, ethnicity, ability, size, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, and gender identity— have to use the bathroom. Logically, it follows that all students need safe and appropriate access to bathroom facilities in school settings.
Today I was forced to withdraw my child from school because Dr. Hunter, the superintendent of our county school, refused to allow him to use the bathroom safely. My child is transgender; put simply this means he looks like and identifies as a boy, but has the body parts assigned to girls. Forcing him to use a bathroom that does not match his presentation effectively discloses his status as a transgender child and thus endangers him.
Instead of responding to my concern for safety, Dr. William informed me of his intent to call Child Protection Services. He insists that my child should have to use the girl’s bathroom, regardless of the social, emotional, and potentially physical repercussions that this is likely to bring. He additionally refuses to allow the use of a unisex bathroom typically reserved for staff.
I ask you to join me in asserting the right for all children to attend school and access school services safely and appropriately. My child very much wants to go to school and interact with other children at a normal school setting. He deserves the same opportunities that any child in this county should have. Please support us in asking Dr. Hunter and the Board of Education for McIntosh County Schools to recognize his right to equal access to education.
please reblog and pass this around.
This Is Important, You Should Know About It of the Day: Immensely popular Syrian political cartoonist Ali Ferzat — a noted critic of President Bashar al-Assad’s bloody opposition crackdown — has reportedly had both his hands broken by four masked gunmen as a warning to cease his anti-Assad activism.
Ferzat, who once counted Assad among his friends, was dragged out of his car by the unidentified thugs, forced into their jeep, and driven to an airport road outside of Damascus where he was beaten and burned before being bagged and tossed from the vehicle.
According to his son, the gunmen told Ferzat they were breaking his hands “to teach him not to draw against his ‘masters’.” Though initial reports claimed the gunmen were members of Assad’s security forces, Rami Abdul-Rahman of the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights told the Associated Press the attackers’ identity “could not be confirmed.”
Ferzat’s official website was suspended for a time, but now appears to be back up. His Facebook page as well as a support page are both up and running. In addition, several of his cartoons can be seen in the video posted below.
But I’ve been seeing this bullshit more and more, so let’s talk about it. I keep running into people who seem to honestly think that fat-positive is a bad thing, because if you ever allow those horrible fat people to feel good about their bodies and believe that their worth is not determined by their shape, then people are just going to want to get fatter and no one will ever lose weight because being fat isn’t a bad thing anymore!!!1
Basically, the same kind of horseshit where people think feminists are going to enslave men and ruin society. Now, there are a LOT of things deeply wrong with this attitude, but for now I’m just going to approach the idea that fat-positiveness can’t make people healthier, both mentally and, yes, physically.
Do you know how hard it is to care for your body when you feel worthless? I was bullied about the size of my body throughout middle and high school, and yeah, when people tell you you’re worthless day after day, it’s hard to not believe it. I wasn’t even that fat in middle school. I was a pretty normal kid who was just being hit with the 2x4 of puberty. But I was started getting harassed there. It was never anything obvious or loud, so most of my friends never knew until I told them about it years later. It was always just quiet insults, always just nasty notes or insulting sketches of me. I told myself it wasn’t really bullying, so there was no point in telling anyone; they’d just tell me to suck it up. I thought I deserved it, and more and more I felt that no one saw anything about me but the shape of my body.
I thought there was no point in trying to make myself look nice. My body was disgusting, and it always would be, so what was the point? I didn’t try to take care of my health. I didn’t bother to try to eat healthy or exercise or hell, even leave my house. At this point I had already had a mental breakdown and was having panic attacks almost daily, so going out in general was a challenge. My stomach was a wreck from the stress, and I was nauseated almost constantly. There were very few things I could eat that didn’t make me feel sick. Sometimes I would eat nothing but some yogurt for a meal. In spite of that, I continued to gain weight. The bullying got worse, on the days I was actually able to make it to school, and my confidence and sense of worth plummeted. I still wasn’t exercising at all, still wasn’t trying to eat better or do anything healthy in the least. I didn’t care. I was worthless, so what was the point in doing anything for myself?
Do you know what this changed? When I started to be healthier and eat better and lose weight? When I was finally able to feel good about my body. When I was able to believe that I’m worth so much more than the shape of my body, that I’m not disgusting, that I’m fine how I am. And then I started looking after myself. I’ve lost twenty pounds this summer and I’m in much better shape. This wouldn’t have happened if I hadn’t been exposed to fat-positive material that helped me recover. I still have bad days where I feel very low about myself, but I’m improving.
Mind you, it doesn’t matter that much that I’m eating better and exercising and losing weight. Because you know what? I was still a worthy human being before all that. I am doing this now for me, because I want to. I’m not a better person because I’ve lost weight. I’m a better person because I’m learning to love myself.
Fat phobia was what made me unhealthy. It doesn’t encourage people to be healthier. It doesn’t help anyone. Stop pretending that your cruelty does anyone any favors.
if anyone comes to me and asks me this question in person i will punch them in the face.
Libraries embody everything conservatives hate: things that are free, things that benefit poor people, things that don’t make money, and learning.
Honestly, I feel like libraries should get more money to be able to run. Admittedly, I don’t really go to the public library because its selection of books is terrible… but that’s because they need more money to run and to be able to get more books. The concept of “library” itself is a wonderful thing, but when you de-fund it to the point where it’s just a vague hint of what it could be, of course people are going to think its worthless. They haven’t been shown its value.
Also, I feel like learning as a concept has been really devalued, as well. Nobody wants to learn anymore. They just want to be entertained. So their desire for the library and all that it can do has been shot. Why go to the library if every book is going to be made into a movie (that’s usually never as good as the book, but nobody in Hollywood wants you to know that)? Also, since middle class voices tend to be the loudest, people also forget that libraries are important for people without computers to be able to do stuff like apply for jobs.
tl;dr Libraries are important, but various factors are shielding peoples’ understanding of that importance.
A BIG HELL YES TO THE INSTITUTION OF THE PUBLIC LIBRARY.
I think everyone else expressed what I want to say pretty eloquently, but word up.
PETA kills animals, despite having a budget in the millions.
PETA takes in animals, promising to find them homes, even outright lying and telling people the animals were adopted after, in reality, they had been killed.
PETA fights against animals being called “property,” unless it’s in their best interest.
PETA thinks feral cats should be killed (and, in fact, goes out of it’s way to kill cats in cared-for colonies) and all pitbulls should be killed (they tried to have all of Michael Vick’s dogs killed, and now almost all of them have been adopted into loving homes, become certified Canine Good Citizens and/or therapy dogs).
PETA actively fights No Kill initiatives and calls all No-Kill groups hoarders/liars/etc.
One of the many reasons to NOT support PETA. That’s not even getting into their sexism, racism, sizism, xenophobia, ciscentric-ness, and classism.
If you endorse PeTA, this is the fucked up shit you support.
PETA is so foul.
PLEASE HELP US FIND HER, REBLOG, PRAY, LOOKOUT FOR HER.. ANYTHING! WE NEED AS MUCH HELP AS WE CAN GET. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.
always reblog these just in case.
ALWAYS reblog. Poor bb.
It’s legit, folks. Please reblog.
I will get a college education; even if I have to go marching or start a fucking revolution.Republicans have proposed to decrease maximum funding to $3,000
Republicans have proposed to decrease maximum funding to $3,000 per student and increase eligibility standards from 12 to 15 credits, meaning students would need to register for a minimum of one additional class to receive the maximum award.
I am trying to make something of myself and y’all are constantly making it harder for me to do so.
This is straight-up disgusting. It should never be a person’s goal to make obtaining an education more difficult.